Wednesday, January 1, 2014

DIY Project - Clorox Wipes - reusable



Love Clorox wipes! Hate paying the high price for them and hate the waste. I decided to make my own natural, cheaper version that actually cleans so much better. The wipes can be washed and used over and over again. The best part is I used items I already had on hand to make them.

I used an old towel that was destined for the 'rag basket' It had definitely seen better days, but it was perfect for this. You can use an old t-shirt, old washcloths, or any type of cotton material that you are comfortable with.


I cut it up into squares about the same size as Clorox wipes cloths.
I was able to get over 30 square cloths out of this one towel.

These are the ingredients I used to make my version of Clorox wipes.
The Domino's Sugar container is an empty container I am recycling to put my finished product in. I did not want to use a 'baby wipes' container because we have a toddler ( my granddaughter) running around this house getting into stuff. Plus, I did not want to take the chance on getting wipes confused. I did not use a glass container because of my granddaughter too. You feel free to use any type of container that makes you happy.

Recipe:
1 cup of hot water
1/2 cup of vinegar
2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid (I used Dawn because it was what I had on hand)
10 drops of peppermint essential oil

Mix all ingredients in measuring cup. Place cloths in container and pour liquid mixture over cloths.
Put lid on and shake to saturate all cloths. In this instance I made a double batch of the cleaning mixture so all of my cloths would be saturated.
Don't forget to label your container. I used pieces of old poster board to make mine. I covered the labels with packing tape to keep the labels from getting damaged. I also put the recipe on the back. This way I don't have to look it up again when I get ready to make my next batch.

 
  You can fancy your container up a bit if you are into that kind of thing.


 
The most important part to me is - how well does it do the job?
I had to put it to the test. I went to the dirtiest room in the house - the bathroom and did some cleaning.  I put 'real store bought' Clorox wipes up against my DIY Clorox Wipes. Here are the results. You be the judge. I can tell you my version was thicker and cleaned easier than the name brand one.
 
Before
 
After
 
 
 
Before
 
After

 
Close up view of ring stain - top portion is my DIY cleaner and bottom portion of the picture is the store bought name brand.
 
 
 
Floors were cleaned with only my DIY Clorox wipes. These are the before and after shots. I only used 2 cloths on the entire floor.
 
 
Before
 
After
 
 
Worst part of the floor - Behind the toilet - Before cleaning with DIY Clorox Wipes
 
After cleaning with DIY Clorox wipes.
 
 
These little wipes certainly cleaned a lot better than I thought they would. The name brand store bought ones did not stand a chance up against the ones I made. If you don't believe me, try your own test and experience the results first hand.










No comments:

Post a Comment