Monday, January 13, 2014

How to Clean Your Oven for Less Than $1.00

I have an old second oven. I have tried everything to get it clean. No matter how hard I tried it just would not come clean. Until, I tried this simple solution. Here is the before shot. (Hanging my head in shame)
 

I started the cleaning process the night before. I put the oven on the lowest temperature setting. For my old oven, it was 200 F. While my oven was heating, I put a pot of water on the stove top to heat up. Make sure your pot does not have a plastic handle. You will be putting this in the oven.



As the water was coming to a boil, I poured lemon scented Ammonia into another oven safe pot (around 1 1/2 cups).
 The entire bottle of Ammonia was $1.99. I used only about 1/3 of the bottle.

When the water came to a roaring boil, I turned off the oven. Then, I placed the pan of boiling water on the bottom rack of my oven. I put the ammonia on the top rack. Closed the oven door and went to bed.
The next morning, I opened the oven door, let it air out for about 15 minutes, put the pot of water back to heating on the stove.
I removed the ammonia and set it to the side while I removed the oven racks.
Next I added, 2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid to the ammonia.

Once the water was hot again, I poured it into a wash pan with the ammonia and dishwashing liquid mixture.
Next, I found my trusty rubber gloves. Please make sure you wear gloves if you try this. Ammonia can be harmful to your skin.


Now, it was time to start the cleaning. I used an old cut up bath towel to wipe out the oven with. There were some really bad places that I had to use a stainless steel scrubbie on. Once I had the oven as clean as I thought it would get it, I used fresh hot water and a clean cloth to rinse it.
Here is what the oven looks like now.


BIG difference from the before shot! (Grinning from ear to ear! So proud of myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment