Monday, February 3, 2014

Some projects accomplished!

On Sunday of last week, 1/26/2014. we were finally able to get some of those projects finished. Early that morning, my husband went to Tractor Supply and was able to get the heat lamp (for our side porch -my washer & dryer are out there and it is a favorite sleeping spot for our pit bull). The plan was to keep the pipes and the dog from freezing.

Robby (my hubby) also was able to get the items to fix the toilet, the sink in the kitchen, and pick up the other items we needed to get our propane heater installed. While he was gone, it was my job to get everything ready to make his repairs easier.

My first task was to clean out from underneath the kitchen sink. I removed all of the cleaning supplies and other items that seem to find their way underneath there. I scrubbed the area and had it empty and ready for him when he got back. Before I put everything back in its place under there, I found a plastic crate and placed everything in it. It now serves as a drawer to slide out to access those cleaning supplies. It looks so much nicer, plus I don't have to climb all the way under the sink if I am looking for a certain cleaner. I was proud of myself for coming up with this awesome idea. I will post a couple of pics a little later so that you can see how easy it is to get to things now.

I then started in the living room, moving furniture around and making sure everything was clean and ready to install that heater. I was past ready for it to be in there. I washed the walls down, and swept and mopped and got everything ready.

While I was busy doing all of these things, I also put a big pot of dried red beans on to cook. I just let them boil and do their thing. I just popped through to make sure they had plenty of water every so often. I wasn't sure if they would turn into chili, red beans and rice, or maybe just beans and cornbread. It really didn't matter at least we would have something warm to eat for dinner that night and left overs for the next couple of nights and I wouldn't have to slave over the stove to get that done.

I stayed busy all day, using expanding foam insulation in every crack and crevice I could find. I used up a whole roll of 3mm plastic sheeting putting plastic over windows, doorways, around the side porch and everywhere I could think of to block some of that cold, bitter wind. My husband said he was scared to stand still for too long, he was afraid I would wrap him plastic and seal his mouth shut with that foam insulation! I was an insulating madwoman! For some reason I felt a very strong urgency to get it done as quick as possible.

That afternoon, after my husband completed all of the small repairs, my Dad came over and helped him install the propane heater in the living room. It was so nice to feel good warm air coming out of it. I was proud! We were able to save some money too by re-using our old copper pipe and some of the fittings from the old place to install it. That was awesome to be able to take some of the things back to the store and get our money back.

Mom came over a little bit later with my granddaughter and we all ate dinner together while enjoying the warm heater. It did wind up being beans & cornbread, with a few sides and I even made a lemon cake for dessert. We were so tired by the end of the day that we were not able to get the bed moved in there, but like Scarlett O'hara once said "I will think about that tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day."

No comments:

Post a Comment