Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Afghan To Keep in the Car

On Wednesday following the day of the snow, Robby & I didn't go into work. The temperature dropped to zero with wind chills well below that. It was brutal out there and I don't mind telling you I didn't so much as put my nose outside.

All I could think about was the ordeal I had been through the day before and how I never wanted to go through it again. I decided to get stuff together to keep in my car just in case anything like that ever happened again. I will go into detail a little later about everything I am planning for my car. I will be calling it my 'Get Home Bag'.

The first thing I decided to do was make an ugly afghan to keep in my car. I went to the craft room and plundered in my stack of yarn until I found colors I didn't particularly like and a crochet needle I thought would work nicely. I carried them back to the warmest room in the house (my living room/bedroom) and got started. I was determined to make sure it was as warm as possible and in colors that were not like anything I had ever made before. This way I would know it was strictly for the car (and so would everyone else). I didn't want anyone to fall in love with it and just have to have it. I worked for the next two days on a simple large granny square afghan.

By Wednesday evening our water had froze again. I honestly wasn't surprised. It was just so bitter cold. We had water in gallon jugs so I was sure we would be ok until the water thawed and we could repair it.

Robby was getting stir crazy sitting at home, so by Thursday he was ready to go back to work. They opened a few hours later than normal and he went in. I stayed home and kept working on my afghan. I did not want to even try driving because I knew the roads would still be icy and I didn't want to be stranded again.

That evening when he got home, he fixed the water leak, but we still didn't have water. We checked everywhere to make sure there were no leaks and couldn't find one anywhere. Robby finally tracked it back to the water meter. It was frozen inside the meter, under the ground. It was too late to call the water company that night. So, the plan was for him to go in to work Friday and I would stay home and wait on the water company.

Later that night, I was able to finish my afghan.Yay me! It was ready to go in the car!
Here is a picture of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment